- The mission of WSSB public radio is to broadcast the very best jazz music, current news and produce innovative, entertaining, and informative content that enriches the daily lives of our audience and the cultural life of South Carolina.
History and Overview
- Since its debut in March 1985, WSSB, 90.3 FM, licensed to South Carolina State University, has consistently fulfilled its mission to provide quality culturally appropriate programming to public radio listeners. The format of this listener supported public radio station entertains the jazz aficionado, educates the novice jazz listener and disseminates news and information relative to the community-at-large.
- WSSB, with 80,000 watts, is the most powerful, non-commercial radio station licensed to a college or university in the state of South Carolina.
- WSSB is the only jazz radio station in the state of South Carolina.
- Over 100,000 listeners tune to WSSB each week on the radio, and an ever-growing number of people listen online via our two 24-hour web streams or on Internet radio.
- WSSB is a member-supported, public radio station.